Office equipment can really start to add up, especially if you have a lot of employees. Next to the lease of your office space, office furniture and equipment can be one of the biggest expenses. If you purchase office equipment new you could be spending tens of thousands of dollars. Yet, there are a number of ways to find affordable office equipment that won’t put such a big dent in your business’ cash flow. If you are willing to get a little creative and adventurous you could actually find office equipment for a fraction of what it usually costs. Here are 5 places to find inexpensive office equipment.
- Liquidation sales. A lot of businesses are going out of business, but what’s not good news for them is great news for your business. This can be a great way to score their office equipment and even furniture. These businesses might be simply trying to wash their hands of their old equipment so that they can move on, which would make it a great way to obtain free office equipment, but most of the time they hold a sale or an auction. Make sure to get to the auction early so that you can snatch the best items – there will be a lot of competition.
- You can also purchase equipment wholesale. If you have a sellers permit, you could be purchasing office equipment for extremely cheap from wholesalers. While you usually have to report it on your taxes or with your state board if you purchase wholesale equipment, in the long run it will be more than worth it. Oftentimes, wholesalers offer the option of shipping for free.
- Office equipment discount clubs. There are many websites that offer business owners the opportunity to sign up and become a member to receive steep discounts and bargains. Many of these discounts will offer the opportunity for business owners to save up to 50% on office equipment. Overtime this will really start to add up. If you count your savings, you could be taking that money and putting it back into your cash flow to invest in better things for your business.
- Yard sales and garage sales. Depending on the size of your business, yard sales can offer a virtual bounty of office supplies for next to no money. You could find desks, chairs and even fax machines and printers. This Saturday or Sunday drive around your neighborhood looking for sales. If you want to be smart about it, you can go to YardSaleSearch.com and save yourself all the driving around.
- Storage facilities. With the nature of the economy, many businesses are downsizing and keeping their furniture in storage units with the hopes that they can weather the storm. However, many of them don’t and abandon their office supplies to be auctioned off by the storage facility. You can search online or look in your local paper for upcoming storage unit auctions or you can make visits to storage facilities to ask the proprietors directly. This is a great way to get office supplies for pennies on the dollar.